Living a green life is a way that tries to conserve the earth’s biodiversity and natural resources. This is done so that the earth’s resources can be of benefit to the current generation and also for the future generations.
Non-renewable resources are used with moderation so as not to deplete them because they can not be regenerated. Many regulations have been made to protect natural resources. People have been encouraged to start green living.
Ways of Green Living
There are numerous ways of living green. Many homes and institutions have taken up the step of green living. Here are some of the many ways of green living.
- Recycle: There are very many products in your home which can be recycled. Jam tins, margarine, and packaging cans can be used to put sugar, salt, spices and also to refrigerate food. Bottles like wine bottles and soda bottles can be used as flower vases, they can also be painted and be placed in the house or back yard table for decoration. These bottles can also be covered in different colors of yarn and be used very attractive pieces of decoration.
- Use reusable bags: Whenever you are doing your shopping ensure you avoid using plastic bags at all cost. Plastic bags take up to 10 years to decompose and they greatly harm the environment. Another advantage of reusable bags is that they can be used many times compared to plastic bags. Most supermarkets have gone green and no longer pack their customers goods with plastic bags
- Use green washing products: When you are cleaning your home or office, use green cleaning products which do not have chemical. Chemicals harm the environment by entering the soil or through the atmosphere by fumes. You can as well use products in your house to clean the house like lemon and baking powder.
- Preserve your house hold food products: Do not leave your vegetables and fruits to over ripe, and throw them away later. They cause harm to the environment. Instead, freeze them so that you can use them in future to make smoothies and salads.
- Switch off lights when not in use: Any room not in use should not have its lights on. During the day open the windows for natural light to come in and switch off the lights. This helps to conserve energy used for electricity.
- Use energy saving bulbs: The regular bulbs take up a lot of energy compared to fluorescent bulbs which use up to 75% less of energy. They save a lot of energy in the long run.
- Wash in loads: It is advisable you wash your laundry or utensils in loads, that way you use less water and electricity while using your dish washer or washing machine.
- Short showers: Try to take short showers as possible. Whenever you are using the shower, ensure it is closed unless you are using it.This helps to conserve as much water as possible.